Thoughts are our perception of the things that happen around us all the time. No wonder, they are endless. Human mind is capable of conceiving around six lakh thoughts per day that cover all the myriad emotions that we go through in a typical day of our life. Thoughts govern our feelings, they decide our action and eventually give shape to the fascinating albeit random world around us...here I try to verbalize few of those thoughts, my perception of 'I' and 'You'

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Comfort Innovated

Its been months since Delhi government imposed ban on polythene bags. The day this statute was ratified, there was a mixed feeling in me. On one hand I was very happy that the ruling of Delhi is in the hands of pols that are environment sensitive and most important bold enough to take such stringent action. And on the other hand, I was bit dissident because following the law needed me to carry a bag from home whenever I was out for shopping. The thought - "what if I forgot to carry one?" - always bothered me. I for some reason had the faith on the shopowners that on that worst day when I actually would forget to take a bag along with me for the amount of items cleary too much for my hands to carry, they would show mercy on me and provide bags that either got left after the law came into existence or were meant to help wretched creature like me. I always believed in what I thought about 'the kind shop owner' until the day I actually forgot to bring a carry bag from home. I had gone to purchase potatoes, to be precise a kg of them. And to my dismay, when I declared that I was bag-less, shopkeeper was completely indifferent of my state and instead of providing me with any help, pointed his finger to a newspaper cutting that was stuck on the wall beside the cash-counter and which mentioned the Delhi government's ban on plastic bags. I was in no mood to go back home empty-handed and by the virtue of the huge palms that God has endowed me with, I took the decision to carry all those potatoes home using my adroit hands. I still remember that 10 minutes walk to home, which in normal condition would have required hardly two minutes. I can proudly say that I carried all the potatoes without any casualty and with none fallen. But this experience taught me a lesson and after that day, every time I embarked for shopping, I always made it a point to carry some kind of bag with me.

Carrying a bag is indeed an inconvenience for me, because being a guy, I am used to travel light. But this, I believe, is a very small cost to pay for the protection of our dear nature! Not every city has the pols like we have, who are so concerned of our atmosphere and of our posterity. Being a responsible citizen I should respect their decision. Since that fateful day (if I may say), I have kept sacrificing my comfort for the city that I live in. But now no more! Especially after yesterday's encounter with an intelligent shop owner and his innovative way of complying with both nature's health and customer's ease. He provides carry bags made up of cloth at his shop at the cost of Rs 5 only. Please wait before you start blaming him of taking advantage of customer's obligation, to sell his goods. These bags are completely refundable. Just give it back to the shop keeper and you are refunded back your money. Now tell me! Howzzat? The moment he advertised this to me, I had a smile on my face and I couldn't resist praising him, and I actually did that. And why not? If others follow his suit then the day is not far when I would again start enjoying shopping that I completely dread now because of all the hassle of carrying that stupid plastic bag stuffed in my trouser's pocket...

About Me